Vitamin D signs - fuzzy thinking, bone deformities, mystery fatigue.
Symptom Quiz & Video
For detailed Vitamin D help watch the video above and/or read below. Here is the link for additional help.
How to Correct a Vitamin D Deficiency
Low D Causes
Rickets and Soft Bones
D deficiency causes rickets (malformed bones) in children and osteomalacia (softening of bone) in adults.
Q u i z !
Which of These 16 Vitamin D Warning Symptoms Do You Actually Have?
© 2017 FredaCare.com
Our Bodies Make It From Sunlight
Vitamin D is unlike other vitamins in that our bodies synthesize it as a result of the action of sunlight on our skin.
Ultraviolet rays initiate the production of D from cholesterol which is stored in the skin's oil glands.
D synthesis in the body
Keeps Our Eyesight Sharp
Recent studies indicate that D plays an important role in keeping our eyesight sharp.
Strong Bones and Teeth
Vitamin D is also needed for the growth and development of bones and teeth.
Caution with Supplements
Caution should be exercised when taking D supplements -- excess vitamin D can be toxic.
Added to Milk
Since few foods naturally contain vitamin D, most milk is fortified with the vitamin.
Essential for Mineral Absorption
Also, liver, egg yolks, cheese, cold-water fish and fish liver oils are good sources of vitamin D.
How to Get More "D"
- The sun is our main source of D
- but we must include some in our diet, too.
- Some foods that supply D:
- D-fortified milk
- tuna (and other cold water fish)
- lamb liver
- You would benefit from a supplement. If:
- the above foods aren't in your diet or
- if you live in a cold climate, or
- you seldom go out in the sun
- A good multivitamin/mineral tablet with 400 I. U.'s of D is a good choice for a supplement
- Alcohol interferes with the conversion of vitamin D into its usable form in our body
- As we age we absorb and synthesize less vitamin D so a D supplement is a good idea for the elderly
- Cod liver oil capsules can be a good source, but they can become rancid if stored improperly or for too long
- Don't take them if they have a strong, fishy smell.
- D is stored in the body and you can overdose on supplements -- even cod liver oil, so don't take high doses of this vitamin.
D molecular structure
Keeps Nervous System Healthy
It is involved in cell growth, regulating the immune system and blood sugar levels, as well as maintaining a healthy nervous system.
Low D and Bone Disease
The graphic below shows the mapping of several bone diseases onto levels of vitamin D (calcidiol) in the blood: