Selenium helps stop cancer but it's absent in food from poor soils.
Symptom Quiz & Video
For detailed Selenium help watch the video above and/or read below. Here is the link for additional help.
How to Correct a Selenium Deficiency
From the Soil
The amount of this chemical element contained in our food depends entirely upon how much of it was contained in the soil where the food was grown.
Areas are Deficient
However, nearly a third of the United States and three Canadian Provinces have soil that is seriously deficient in this chemical element.
This is unfortunate because selenium is a powerful antioxidant (a substance that prevents tissue damage from oxidization) and therefore is one of the best cancer-blocking agents.
Q u i z !
Which of These 13 Selenium Warning Symptoms Do You Actually Have?
© 2017 FredaCare.com
Foods Grown In These Areas May Be Low In Selenium
- Western New York
- Rhode Island
- New Jersey
- the Carolinas
- West Virginia
- Also seleium deficient are the Canadian provinces of:
System, Fights Allergies
Since selenium enhances your immune system it is beneficial to chronic allergy patients.
USA - possible selenium deficient soils (courtesy of USGS)
Canada - possible selenium deficient soils
If you do not live in an area of deficient soil and you make an effort to eat a variety of nutritious foods, you are unlikely to be seriously deficient in this chemical element.
However, food processing destroys much of this chemical element in grains, etc. and even a mild deficiency can impair your immune system.
Do You Need More Selenium?
- If your quiz score shows you may have an imbalance in this chemical element and you live in one of the deficient areas of North America (see table) or have:
- a high risk of cancer
- a high risk of heart disease
- If any of the above apply:
- Take 100-200mcg of organically bound selenium every day
- Taking it with vitamin E (200-400 I.U.) will increase both the its and vitamin E's absorption
- Don't take mega doses of this chemical element -- it can be toxic in high doses
- Add more food sources to your diet:
- whole grains
- wheat germ
- raw nuts
- organic meat
- brown rice
- vegetables, especially:
- Brazil nuts are one of the best sources of this chemical element but keep in mind that one ounce of brazil nuts also has 185 calories.
- Cut back on refined foods made from white sugar and white flour.
- Eat brown rice instead of white rice.
Selenium is not only an effective tool against cancer and heart disease, but it appears to be effective in preventing the onset of other chronic degenerative diseases such as premature aging, multiple sclerosis, diabetes and arthritis.
It does this by speeding up the rate of heavy metal excretion in the urine and feces.
Protects Against Cancer, Heart Disease, etc.
Additionally, selenium plays an important role in cleansing your body of heavy metal poisoning, such as may occur from exposure to mercury (as in dental fillings) or lead (as in old paint).