Stomach overactive - or ulcer? Can you tell the difference?
Symptom Quiz & Video
For detailed Overactive Stomach help watch the video above and/or read below. Here is the link for additional help.
How to Correct an Overactive Stomach
Q u i z !
Which of These 11 Stomach Warning Symptoms Do You Actually Have: OverActive or UnderActive?
© 2017 FredaCare.com
The following advice will not conflict with any medication your doctor prescribes.
1. What to Do About An Overactive Digestive System
- Eliminate or cut back on the following (as these will aggravate your problem):
- soft drinks (especially colas)
- tobacco (smokers have a high incidence of ulcers)
- NutraSweet (or any artificial sweeteners)
- processed foods
- pasteurized dairy foods
- red meat (and other fatty foods)
- white flour
- Try not to eat when your are feeling stressed.
- Eat easily digested fresh foods high in vegetable fibre such as:
- leafy greens
- raw and steamed vegetables (at least five to six one-half cup servings daily)
- non-acidic fruits such as:
- brown rice and other whole grains
- fresh yogurt and other cultured foods like:
- miso o
- While cutting back on red meat, try to get more of your protein from vegetable sources (if they do not irritate your digestive processes) - vegetable sources like:
- soy foods
- black beans
- whole grains
- raw nuts
- raw seeds
- Other good protein sources:
- Sea food
- low fat yogurt
Overactive and Underactive
The symptoms of overactive digestion and underactive digestion are very similar, which makes it important to be sure exactly which problem you have, before taking any corrective measures.
Restrict Antacid Use
Antacids should not be used over a long period of time -- they can eventually cause even greater problems by upsetting the body's acid/alkaline balance. As well, some antacids still contain aluminum -- a metal it is wise to avoid.
Milk or a Snack May Help
If you have an overactive stomach you may find that drinking milk or eating a snack relieves the discomfort or pain.
Stress is a Trigger (Ulcer?)
You may have noticed stomach pain also when you were upset or tense. If you do have these symptoms, you should see your doctor, to rule out the possibility of an ulcer.
Too Much Acid
The discomfort and pain comes as a result of the stomach overproducing hydrochloric acid (HCL), the major digestive juice produced.
Excess Hydrochloric Acid
Overactive stomach (too much hydrochloric acid) is much less common than underactive stomach.
For Overactive Digestion
- Stress reduction and
- Dietary changes (which will vary from individual to individual) but include changes such as:
- eating several small meals containing protein each day
- combining foods properly for optimal digestion
- minimizing irritants such as:
- concentrated sugars (i.e.: colas)
Hours After Eating
Your discomfort will NOT begin immediately after a meal but anywhere from 45 minutes up to 5 to 6 hours later. It may even wake you up in the night and it is likely to be in the upper abdominal area.
2. More of What To Do About Overactive Digestion
- Raw cabbage juice is very healing
- aloe vera juice is very healing too. Ask about aloe vera juice or aloe concentrate at your health food store
- You may find relief in eating frequent small meals during the day instead of three larger meals.
- Always chew food thoroughly.
- Never rush your meals.
- Do not eat late in the evening.
- A green food powdered supplement that is dissolved in water or diluted juice would be an excellent supplement for you.
- It would give you a quick green boost (minerals) and, since it is a food-source supplement, it is easily absorbed.
- The main ingredients are:
- Wheat grass
- barley grass
- sometimes alfalfa
- They supply an extra boost of vegetable protein, minerals, a wide range of vitamins and chlorophyl (good for your liver).
- Wakunaga Kyo-Green would be a good one to try (it's not too expensive) but there are others available if you can't find it.
- Green superfoods are really good fatigue fighters, too -- and can help prevent food cravings when taken between meals.
- Stress, especially repressed emotions, is often a factor in an overactive stomach.
- For some people, stress modification techniques have been very effective for improving an acidic stomach - techniques such as:
- massage therapy
- Allergies are often associated with overacidity and ulcers.
- Does your chart also show the possibility of allergies?
- It's important to correct nutritional deficiencies in order to improve digestion and the best way is by eating foods rich in the nutrients you need.
- Supplements (pills) should not be taken until after the symptoms of an overactive stomach have improved.
- However, you may take the green drink right away, since it is a food-source supplement (not a pill).
- There are some very effective, safe herbal compounds which may improve digestive disorders, but I think they should be prescribed by a naturopath, or another holistic doctor.
Occurs Several Hours
Discomfort from an overactive stomach usually occurs several hours after eating fatty, high protein foods, or after experiencing some stressful situation.