Liver problems cause constipation, gas, nausea and headaches.
Symptom Quiz & Video
For detailed Liver and Gall Bladder help watch the video above and/or read below. Here is the link for additional help.
How to Correct Liver and
Gall Bladder Problems Nutritionally
You're not alone. This problem is common to many people.
Your Liver is Your Most Important Metabolic Organ
It performs an incredible array of tasks critical to our survival.
Q u i z !
Which of These 16 Liver / Gall Bladder Warning Symptoms Do You Actually Have?
© 2017 FredaCare.com
Symptoms of a Sluggish Liver
(not enough bile)
- headache after eating fatty foods
- onions, cabbage, radishes, cucumbers give you gas
Liver Can Re-generate Itself
It is the only human organ capable of regenerating itself -- a whole lobe of the liver cut away in an operation can renew itself in a few weeks!
The 8 Medical Sections of Your Liver
Makes New Chemicals & Neutralizes Waste
The liver make new chemicals from food nutrients for use throughout the body, and neutralizes body waste byproducts.
All Your Blood Goes
Through Your Liver
All your blood (carrying nutrients from your intestines) passes through your it.
Maintains Your Energy, Stores Your Vitamins
It is also key to maintaining your energy level, and is a storehouse for all the vitamins, minerals and enzymes in your body, releasing them into your bloodstream as needed.
The anatomy of your abdomen showing your liver
to Digest Fats
The liver also manufactures bile, which is sent to your gall bladder (a sac-like organ attached to the liver). When required, the gall bladder discharges bile into your intestines to help break down fats into more easily used components.
Not Enough Bile?
A high score indicates that there may not be enough bile getting into the small intestine. Bile is needed to break down fats into tiny particles so that pancreatic digestive enzymes can work on them.
Maintains Blood Glucose
and Hormone Levels
It helps maintain blood glucose levels and regulates hormone levels.
Detoxifies Alcohol and Drugs
It also detoxifies substances such as alcohol and drugs.
Very Important for Weight Loss
Your body cannot metabolize fats well if your liver is not working properly, and this can make weight loss especially difficult.
- Get water soluble fiber from:
- a diet high in:
- fresh fruits
- or powdered psyllium husks (from your health food store) It is a gentle, lubricating, cleansing herbal fibre which adds bulk to the stool.
- Drink plenty of water when taking any fibre supplement
- Bile production (digestion) is substantially reduced if you eat:
- a diet high in refined carbohydrates:
- white breads
- white baked goods
- white pasta
- and if you eat a diet low in fibre
- Excess sugar is especially bad.
Causes of a
- excess toxins of any kind:
- environmental pollutants
- general poor nutrition over a long period
- a diet high in refined foods and sugar.
Fast Food and Your Liver
For example, eating a typical fast food meal once a day plus a few cups of coffee and a drink or two daily will almost surely take its toll on your liver, in time.
Revitalize Your Liver with Diet
Correcting nutritional deficiencies and maintaining a healthy diet is the best way to revitalize and protect your liver.
Foods to Repair Your Liver
- Try to eat 5-6 servings (half cup each) of fresh vegetables daily, especially:
- Brussels sprouts
- winter squash
- leafy greens like:
- beet greens
- salad greens (any of the aboe steamed, raw, stir-fried and in soups, casseroles, pastas, etc.
- Eat brown rice often, as well as:
- whole grain pastas
- These foods are, in a sense, fat-burning foods since they burn almost a quarter of their calories before storing them as fat, unlike fatty and sugary foods which burn only about 2% of their calories.
Tips to Improve
- Cut back on:
- animal protein
- dairy products (except yogurt)
- Eat more:
- vegetable protein (tofu and other soy foods
- brown rice
- Drink plenty of water
- eliminate or cut way back on alcohol
- try a more thorough liver cleanse:
- Drinking a glass of water with two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (add a tsp. or so of unpasteurized honey if you like), as soon as you get up in the morning is one easy way to help cleanse
- cut out all saturated fat and margarine at least for a few weeks while you are getting back into fighting shape
- there are a number of herbal detoxifiers available which are very good.
- A green food powdered supplement that is dissolved in water or diluted juice would be an excellent supplement for you and would complement the cleanse, above, very well. It would give you a quick green boost (minerals) and, since it is a food-source supplement, it is easily absorbed. It likely contains:
- Wheat grass
- barley grass
- sometimes alfalfa
- chlorella They supply an extra boost of vegetable protein, minerals, a wide range of vitamins and chlorophyl.
- Wakunaga Kyo-Green would be a good one to try (it's not too expensive) but there are others available if you can't find it.
- Green superfoods are really good fatigue fighters, too -- and can help prevent food cravings when taken between meals.
- Foods rich in potassium, chlorophyll (sea vegetables) and sulfur (onion and garlic) are also good.
- Eat fruit first thing in the morning and wait 20 to 30 minutes before eating the rest of your breakfast.
- If you eat fruit (raw) during the day, eat it only between meals or on an empty stomach -- never with or right after a meal, as it interferes with digestion.
- Try to take in most of your calories earlier in the day, and keep your evening meal light.
- It's best not to eat after about 8 in the evening.
- Since your liver can't function well without oxygen, exercise and spending time in the fresh air are also very important.
- You can sometimes relieve the symptoms of indigestion by taking a digestive enzyme supplement (one that contains both bile and pancreatin) with any meal containing fat.
- For some meals you may need more than one capsule, depending on the amount of fat in the meal.
- After following the dietary recommendations for a month, try leaving out the digestive enzyme supplement and see if the symptoms get worse.
- Continue with the enzyme supplements if you need them, however if symptoms persist please talk to your doctor.
- Our nutritional quiz is not designed to identify liver disease or a gallstone problem. Note that it is possible to have gallstones without realizing it.
- You should check with your physician if you think gallstones may be a possibility. However, the dietary recommendations above are excellent gallstone prevention measures too.
Diet and Supplements Support Your Liver
Your liver's health can be supported with a nutritionally sound diet and/or nutritional supplements.